Don’t get frustrated when you find yourself with a very dry mouth. Suffer no more as this site aims to answer your every question on this health disorder and to provide some effective Dry Mouth Remedies that you can try.
What is dry mouth?
The medical term of dry mouth is xerostomia.
Symptoms of dry mouth
Dry mouth has the following symptoms:
- Sticky and dry feeling in the mouth
- Burning feeling in the mouth
- Dry throat
- Dry and tough tongue
- Cracked lips
- Presence of cold sores in mouth area
- Mouth infection
Role of Saliva
Saliva plays an important role given that the absence of saliva can lead to the development of tooth decay and other oral infections. Furthermore, without saliva the nutrients are lost because of your inability to chew and swallow some foods because of dry mouth.
What are the causes of dry mouth?
Basically, the salivary glands hold the key on keeping your mouth moist. Dry mouth happens when these glands fail to supply adequate saliva.
There are a number of causes of dry mouth. Besides side effects of prescribed drugs, several diseases can cause chronic dry mouth such as Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, HIV or AIDS, and Sjogren’s syndrome.
- Radiation therapy that targets cancers and other cancerous tumors can also result to dry mouth. Patients who undergo radiation therapy expose their salivary glands to radiation. In turn, it dramatically lowers the rate of saliva production.
- Another therapy that treats cancer is called chemotherapy. When patients undergo chemotherapy, their saliva is thick that inhibits the exposure of the salivary glands. Thus, the saliva reduces the production of saliva.
- Finally, nerve damage in the mouth and throat can also affect the normal functioning of the salivary glands.
Dry mouth is treatable through proper dry mouth remedies. Look for the source of the problem to help select the right treatment. When the cause of dry mouth is due to mouth infection. You can consult your doctor for prescription drugs that will replace those medications that aggravate your dry mouth.
- If the cause is anatomical in origin such as malfunctioning salivary glands, you can use artificial saliva sprays. Mouth spray is one of the common dry mouth remedies that helps moisten the mouth and boost saliva production.
- Some of the natural remedies of dry mouth includes gently brushing teeth at least twice a day, regular flossing, increase water intake, chew on mint flavoured candy, to stimulate salivary glands; and the use of a humified if your patients experience dry mouth at night.
- Make home remedies for dry mouth a part of your daily routine.
Water. This is the most accessible dry mouth remedies that you can use to alleviate your discomfort. Make it a habit to drink at least 8 glasses of water daily
Dental hygiene. The habit of brushing your teeth properly using the toothpaste with fluoride after each meal and flossing once a day aids in the protection of your teeth, gums, and mouth tissue.
Dry air. Dry mouth worsens at a place where there is dry weather. The use of a humidifier solves this problem since it helps moisten the air as well as keeping the mouth, throat, or nasal passages.
With the information found here, explore other sections and get to know how you can control and correct dry mouth with dry mouth remedies.